Makies Forums

‹ Makies Gallery

Jenny Head - (Jane Doe Makie) - FACEUP!!

Staff

934 Posts

Okay.
So many photos (and different possible threads to put them in), I'm going to stick them all here, with a narration… and stuff.
Feel free to nosey my Flickr pages. They're all there and zoomable, coz I still don't have a blog, and I still haven't finished my website, and I'm still not a twitterer or google+er, etc etc.
But I HAVE caught up with everything recently (hence the Makie activity) although I now have a Steampunk swap running parallel with this (for a 60cm bjd) so again I may be a bit tied up for the next month.

On to the progress…

If I was to criticise myself, I think my first mistake was using a cotton pad to wipe the prepared surface. Next time I will then clean it off with water and maybe a toothbrush because whilst I was doing the layers, especially every time I used either the citadel spray ^pictured, or Mr Super Clear spray (from Japan), it looked like strands of fibre attached to the face. Then I thought that perhaps when I sprayed it, the moisture would lift cotton fibres from the previous layers. And THEN I wondered if it might be a chemical occurrence of the resin in the spray building-up thread-like fibres due to…I dunno… static in the nylon?
Whatever the cause, I was sure tohold it up against a dark backround to pick off as many ‘fibres’ as possible.

Half way through the faceup I realised that my ‘sealant’ technique wasn't totally sealing. Whether it was cotton residue, makie-nylon residue from the sand-matting, pastel residue from blushing, resin residue from the spray or actual dust particles, I noticed a kind of blotching/clumping around the temples where the blushing was heaviest.
Next attempt, I can only think to do less layers (but make sure the base layer is a good enough seal) and leave each blushed layer to dry for hours/days as opposed to 15 mins (as with bjd's). As it is, the car lacquer is supposed to be left for 48 hours to fully cure (and I did 4 light coats, each 1 hour apart before leaving for 24 hrs - my logic being that a car panel is much bigger than a Makie face). So more haste less speed next time.

These were just some girly ‘catch a falling star’ pictures for fun. I started seeing a youth-appeal with these ones as I think she looks a little ‘bratz’ish?

And here I pinched a wig and hat from another doll for a little variation and decided she looked a bit ‘jenny from the Block’ (hence the name).

And finally footwear that doll folks might kill for. Haha.
Really they're a tad too big, and not a comparison to the sexy heels in Makielabshop (but I'm not sure that Mushroom is a heely kinda gal) but it was pure luck that they fit her and pure joy (for me) that they don't have a socket or peg or gubbins inside for ACI-specific toys! DM joy!! Hooray!

Phew!
Time to clean up the desk!

23 Aug, 2012 19:40

Here since 23rd May '12

751 Posts

Bloody hellfire. I am in utter awe of your skills!

That is a seriously professional job, gorgeous brush work and you should be really pleased with it! Can I use your photos on the blog? I'd love to show you off! (to my whole 1 reader smile)

23 Aug, 2012 20:46

Here since 24th July '12

162 Posts

She looks so good! You gonna do Mushroom yet?! Not sure if I would have the guts to actually put anything on my Makie, when she arrives that is! (And also “Arianwen” means white, holy, silver so would contradict her name somewhat!)

But those boots. I love those boots! So detailed! And thanks for linking a lovely site. That's my next pay check gone. smile

duckiemonster
I'd love to show you off! (to my whole 1 reader smile)

That'll be me. smile

23 Aug, 2012 21:06

Staff

934 Posts

duckiemonster

Bloody hellfire. I am in utter awe of your skills!

That is a seriously professional job, gorgeous brush work and you should be really pleased with it! Can I use your photos on the blog? I'd love to show you off! (to my whole 1 reader)

Haha! Thank you Duckie! Yes of course!
Seriously - I'm all open friendly sharey sharey and they're all public on Flickr so it's a free for all at the moment. And it's all doll specific (except the old pirate stuff) so there's nothing personal for me to worry about smile
Actually, maybe a link to my Flickr would be cool in your post smile

It's Mushroom's fault - she just wants one big Love-in!

Jojomodjo

But those boots. I love those boots! So detailed! And thanks for linking a lovely site. That's my next pay check gone.

Hehe. Yeah I can browse that site for ages. I don't know enough about action figure stats to know whether the size of their things would fit any of my dolls though, so (other than these DM's) I've never actually bought anything. Plus it's much more fun to make stuff smile

23 Aug, 2012 21:50

Here since 24th July '12

162 Posts

sioux
Hehe. Yeah I can browse that site for ages. I don't know enough about action figure stats to know whether the size of their things would fit any of my dolls though, so (other than these DM's) I've never actually bought anything. Plus it's much more fun to make stuff smile

Agreed! The making part is definitely the best bit! However, shoes is something that is beyond my skills smile And smile there is PURPLE DM's!!!

23 Aug, 2012 22:21

Here since 17th May '12

1816 Posts

jojomodjo
)

duckiemonster
I'd love to show you off! (to my whole 1 reader smile)

That'll be me. smile

I read it too , so you have at least two LOL

Sioux-smilesmilesmilesmile I BOW DOWN to you (we need a bow emoticon) and I will seriously have to have some words with you about getting my Choa repainted smile Her facepaint is fading and I was considering selling her off.

I also have a friend of mind looking for someone to do faceups on her BJD's so more work maybe if you are available???

If you are offering repaint services - I'll consider actually ordering another Makie smile

24 Aug, 2012 06:57

Staff

382 Posts

Sioux, I hope you don't mind, but I tweeted and facebooked and blogged and pinned this work. Just completely amazing. What a talent!

Our Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/MakieLab/
Our Twitter: https://twitter.com/makielab
Our FB: https://www.facebook.com/Makielab aaaand
my blog: http://www.wonderlandblog.com/wonderland/2012/08/siouxs-makie-face-up.html

Let me know if any attribution is missing or similar!

24 Aug, 2012 07:49

Staff

934 Posts

@ Poklfil
Yes of course. I feel a trade of Makie services coming on: Mushroom flavoured stuffs for a Millie-onaires faceup??

I've got this coming week off work, so once I've figured out logistics and can stop website-tinkering, I'll declare slots, costs and timeframes and wotnot so if your friend needs work done, she can get in touch then smile

@ Chrystaltips
All the links are fab (and makes sense as to how one of my Flickr picks got more hits in a day than the rest of my pictures have in a year!*) lol
By the way. I'm using your blog post as my new Bond name. Miss Good Nerd. Love it!

*might be a slight exaggeration

24 Aug, 2012 09:59

Here since 17th July '12

704 Posts

Oh wow!!!!!! smile Looking amazing!!!

24 Aug, 2012 10:24

Here since 17th May '12

1816 Posts

Great Sioux
I think my friend is look at Nov as that's when her dolls come in.

Trade of Services sound good to me!!!You can send me a message through my website
http://www.mok.me.uk and then we can exchange emails there!

I have to say I've been very picky about who has done my dolls in the past, Po Designs in Spain did a few of mine, and I am lucky to have a luts Lishe done by Christy Johnson neither of them paints anymore.

Sioux, I love your style, it subtle, and enhances the doll and it is exactly what I like! PERFECT!!!

24 Aug, 2012 14:47

Sign in to reply.